In our summer issue of Modern In Denver magazine, we featured a bamboo bicycle created by Boulder’s Corey Collier, a designer at Open Studio Architecture. Collier is a serious biker, so much so that he competed around the globe as a professional cyclist. We caught up with Collier to learn about his favorite spots to ride around Colorado. Check out his top picks below for both off-road and paved paths.
MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDES
1. Hermosa Creek Trail (above) packs 23 miles of pure single track fun. The trail starts just behind Durango Mountain Resort (DMR) and finishes in the town of Hermosa just outside of Durango. If you’re feeling spry, you can shuttle the ride on a Tuesday and catch the local Wheel Club group road bike ride back to DMR to get your vehicle. Then head to the bike-friendly Bread bakery for a Sow Your Oats cookie!
2. Monarch Crest Trail is a classic, high-alpine, Colorado single-track trail. It begins at the top of Monarch Pass outside of Salida, Colorado and finishes nearly 35 miles later in Pancha Springs. Awesome!
3. Doctor Park Trail is a blistering long fire road climb to one of the sweetest downhills in Colorado. It’s a good pitstop en route to the Butte.
1. Colorado National Monument (above) is hands-down the most unique and scenic road ride in Colorado. The Colorado National Monument is 22 miles gate to gate (closer to 40 if you loop the ride from Grand Junction or Fruita) with scenic views into the canyons around every corner.
2. Glenwood Springs/Gypsum: Head west along the river through Glenwood Canyon on the bike path until you get to Gypsum, Colorado. Pop up and over a dirt road connection that will return you back to Glenwood via Carbondale. This loop gives you a little bit of everything great.
3. Independence Pass is a peaceful high mountain pass ride above Aspen, with elevations reaching 12,095 feet. The weekend before Memorial Day, the pass is open to bikes only.
To learn more about the bamboo bicycle that Collier designed, take a look at our section in the magazine covering all the latest gear and gadgets.